How to get started with your Home Multimedia Network
The first bit of advice here is to take stock of what you already have in your home. This includes:-
- Computer equipment (Laptops, PCs)
- Games consoles (Xbox 360, Wii, Playstation 3)
- Hand held devices(Iphone/Ipod Touch, Sony PSP)
- Computer Networks (Wired, Wireless, HomePlug)
- What type of video (Live TV, Movies, Standard/High Definition) would you like to watch and in which rooms?
- Do you want to listen to Audio in more than one room and/or on portable devices?
- Do you want to gain access to this content whilst outside your home?
This will generally be the starting point for all your multimedia plans and the choices for the technologies you make. Your final solution may be unique to your personal requirements and you may end up using a number of different types of hardware, software and network solutions to reach your goal. Below are some examples of what you may already have and what you could do with them.
I just have a Laptop and a Wireless Network and I want to watch Movies and YouTube on my new TV in the living room.
Click here for a potential solution
This is an organic solution sent in by a reader CrasH. His setup has grown and now includes and Xbox, Nintendo Wii, a FreeNAS server ,Windows 7, and Media Server Software. The is worth a read to see how a someone has pieced things together.
Click here to see CrasH's set up.